Fwd: RHEL on PE2950/CX300 - supported configuration?

Shannon Skerritt shannon at thousandhillservices.com
Mon Apr 30 07:45:11 CDT 2007

Hi all,

Dell have recently configured a PE2950, CX300 and SATA disk array for
us. The PE2950 (as supplied) is running Windows Storage Server 2003 R2
which supports both SMB/CIFS (for shares to the Windows clients) and
NFS (for shares to the Linux clients).

As it stands now, the NAS is configured and two extra disks appear as
local disks to Windows Storage Server. One for the fibre channel disk
array and one for the SATA disk array.

We are concerned that using Windows Storage Server 2003 to provide
data access (particularly via NFS) may not be the best solution as it
places extra requirements on our network architecture with specific
Microsoft centric authentication requirements.

I understand that the CX300 and the provided PE2950 (with HBAs) are
supported under Linux.

What is involved in moving from what we have to a Linux based
solution? ie. running Red Hat Enterprise Linux on the PE2950 NAS
gateway? The Dell web pages:

[http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pvaul_2950?c=uk&cs=RC1050264&l=en&s=lca]

[http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pvaul_cx300?c=uk&cs=RC1050264&l=en&s=lca]

seem to imply this is a supported configuration.

Regards,
Shannon.

--
Shannon Skerritt