kernel vs. Debian/Red Hat/SuSE e.t.c.?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 14:13:12 CDT 2007

On 4/26/07, Robert Wilson <bwilson4web at hotmail.com> wrote:
> As I pointed out, I'm not out for any sort of release wars.

The problem is that email does not convey facial or other expressions
people use to convey meaning. Wording then must be used and most of
the time we misread the intention of even the best authors.

The issue you are trying to solve is what product best fits my needs:
By defining those needs you will be better to convey to the reader,
your management, and your customers what you are needing, why you are
needing, where you can help your customers, etc.

Red Hat's Enterprise Linux is meant to be a 7 year supported product
with a consistent API/ABI that certain customers want for their IT
infrastructure. SuSE and Ubuntu are offering similar products. These
customers do not want changes until they are ready to move to the next
product offering [ie RHEL-3 -> RHEL-4 -> RHEL-5].

Other customers are needing more quick turnaround and are usually at
the bleeding edge. Gentoo, Fedora, OpenSuSE, and Debian Unstable are
the distributions for those people.

Some projects need a mixture of the 2. A project may prototype a
project on say Fedora to get the latest technology they need for
something, and then when they are ready to go into production will
move into say Red Hat Enterprise X that has it but will not change for
5 years.

Since network speed testing is what you are working on, you may end up
with a combination of each of these clients.

Some will want maybe a cluster that will be going online in 6 months
time, but want to know that it will be supported for 5 years
afterwords. Others might want to have a firewall/router that is going
to be in use until 100GB becomes available.. and don't mind upgrading
every couple of weeks while they add another 10GB card to the bond (or
whatever).