which nic?

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Tue Apr 24 15:27:37 CDT 2007

On Tuesday 24 April 2007, Andrew Zahn wrote:
> Looks Like I found the problem. In my modules.conf file eth1 is listed
> by eth0 is not.
>
> [root at server4 root]# cat /etc/modules.conf
> alias eth1 bnx2
> alias scsi_hostadapter megaraid_sas
> alias usb-controller usb-uhci
> alias usb-controller1 ehci-hcd
>

> If I change the first line to "alias eth0 bnx2" then it works.
>
> But now this brings up more questions. How did this get in there?

Probably anaconda put it there. I don't know about system-config-xxx
scriptology and what that does. I usually edit network scripts etc. by hand.
Being a very part-time admin, and having set up maybe 15 linux machines in my
life, I don't care much for automation in that regard.

> Not
> sure, but  why do they work at all, and why does it show ok in the boot
> log and why does service network restart get it working again?

The answer is in your question.

When it first boots, the driver is not loaded, so eth0 won't get initialized.
Then when eth1 gets up, the bnx2 module gets loaded (modprobed). It'll stay
there, and a network restart will then be able to bring both interfaces up.

Cheers, Kuba