Recommended way to set tape default at boot?

Zembower, Kevin kzembowe at jhuccp.org
Tue Apr 24 08:50:22 CDT 2007

When I reboot my PE 2450 running Debian etch, the DAT tape drive
defaults to hardware compression. My backup software, Amanda, prefers to
do compression itself and needs the tape drive compression off.
Consequently, I have to remember to do 'ln -s /dev/nst0 /dev/tape && mt
datcompression 0' every time I reboot the host. Naturally, I forget.

What's the recommended way to execute this command automatically at
reboot? Is there a hardware or BIOS way to permanently set this?

Thanks for your advice and suggestions.

-Kevin

Kevin Zembower
Internet Services Group manager