BMC firmware update on PE2950 failed - SOLVED!

Christian Placzek clp at eclinso.com
Thu Apr 19 07:52:10 CDT 2007

We found the solution:

Prerequisites:
Start the server in single user mode. Install the packages
'dellomsa' and 'screen' with aptitude. This will install all
necessary packages like libstdc++5 and openipmi. If you are using
debian etch amd64 it installs also a lot of convert libs using the
meta package ia32-libs.

Before starting the update package start a 'screen' session and stop
'/etc/init.d/dsm_sa_ipmi'. Now start the update process. After the
validation and before answering 'Y' to continue detach the screen
session. Stop the '/etc/init.d/dsm_sa_ipmi' process again. Attach to
the screen session and continue by typing 'Y'. Done.

Kris