Probles loading a PE6450

Dave Gavin dgavin at vcentrix.net
Fri Apr 13 21:12:10 CDT 2007

 Adam,

   Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check on Monday and see if I can find a
setting like that.

Dave

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 20:46:19 -0500
Adam Williams <awilliam at mdah.state.ms.us> wrote:

> In either the system bios, onboard scsi bios, or the raid card bios, is
> there an option to change from I20 to something else?  I forgot what its
> called, but I have an HP netserver with an LSI Logic megaraid card, and
> FC6 wouldn't install on it, and I changed it from I20 to whatever the
> other option was, and then it recognized it and worked fine.
>
> Another option is you could pick up a PERC3/DC off of ebay or dell
> refurbished center and slap it in there, as its supported.
>
> David Gavin wrote:
> >   Hi,
> >
> >   I recently purchased a used PE6450 to do some testing with;
> >    2 x 550MHz Xeon (since upgraded to 4 x 700MHz Xeon)
> >   1 Gig of memory
> >   4 x 9G SCA drives
> >
> >   After several attempts to load FC6, I removed the RAID card
> > (MegaRaid is unsupported in newer versions ?) and plugged the drive
> > cables directly into the motherboard. Every attempt to load anything
> > newer than FC2 just reboots when it hits anaconda, no error messages,
> > it just says that it is rebooting. I have FC2 running on it right now
> > and it loaded and runs fine, but I've tried;
> >   FC4 through FC6 - reboots while running anaconda
> >   PC-BSD    - loaded OK, hangs on rebooting
> >   DSL           - same
> >   Solaris 10 - same (loops on initializen I2O Nexus ?)
> >
> >   I have two other PE6450s in our racks and they won't power down or
> > reboot from software - I have to shut them down and the power-cycle
> > them to get them back, so I believe that there's something different
> > about these boxes, probably ACPI, that needs special options but I
> > haven't been able to figure them out.
> >
> >   Has anyone got these boxes successfully running a current Linux
> > distro ? if so, did you have to do something special to get them
> > loaded ? I'm willing to believe that mine has some hardware issue(s),
> > but I just can't figure it out.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >   Dave Gavin

David Gavin -  Senior Systems Administrator
Vcentrix, Inc.  19 Crosby Drive Suite 200 Bedford, MA, USA 01730
email: dgavin at vcentrix.net  Tel: 617.904.5014   Fax:781.687.8882