Converting a (single-disk) RAID-0 back to a (two-disk) RAID-1

John Buttery johnb+linuxpoweredge at academicsuperstore.com
Fri Apr 13 10:53:38 CDT 2007

  I'm in a bit of a cautious situation here.  First, let me explain the
steps that got me to this point, in case the solution I'm looking for
isn't actually the best fit for the problem.  The hardware here is a
PowerEdge 2850 with a PERC 4e/Di.

1) Start with a two-disk RAID-1 where one of the disks goes bad.
2) Order replacement disk, insert into controller
3) Run dellmgr, and do "reconstruct" instead of "rebuild"

  So, after a three-hour uninterruptible reconstruct operation, I now
have a single-disk RAID-0 array (the second disk isn't being used...I
actually removed the disk from the chassis to make sure the controller
didn't try to grab it for the RAID-0 array).
  What's the best way to get back to the original setup (two-disk
RAID-1)?

  Might I suggest some help screens or perhaps a confirmation prompt
before an operation like this, since "rebuild" and "reconstruct" are
actually synonyms...

--
John Buttery <johnb at academicsuperstore.com>
System Administrator