OMSA fancontrol problem on Debian

Wed Apr 11 09:50:30 CDT 2007

Some servers don't have the ability to change the fan speed in this
manner. The 9G servers do not have this feature. The fan speed is based
strictly on server state, the state of other fans, and the temperature
in this case.

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com
[mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of Stephane Gamard
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 5:08 AM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: OMSA fancontrol problem on Debian

Hi all,

I would like to turn the fan on quiet on my PE2900 (while of course
monitoring the temp...).  Only, omconfig return me a error while
trying to use the fancontrol on the chassis:

root at dev2:~# uname -a
Linux dev2 2.6.17-11-generic #2 SMP Thu Feb 1 19:52:28 UTC 2007 i686
GNU/Linux
root at dev2:~# omconfig chassis fancontrol -?
Error! No Fan control feature found on this system.

root at dev2:~# omconfig chassis fancontrol speed=quiet
Error! No Fan control feature found on this system.

Any insights?

_Stephane