Demand based switching with RHEL4 on PE 1850 and 1950 servers

Billinghurst, David (RTATECH) David.Billinghurst at riotinto.com
Tue Apr 10 02:38:05 CDT 2007

As part of our corporate energy efficiency program, I want to
reduce the energy consumption of our 1850 and 1950 servers.

The machines are compute servers running large mathematical models.
They are either flat out for days at a time, or idle.

Is anyone using Demand-Based Switching, as discussed in
http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/power/ps3q05-20050136-Hargrave-OE.pdf
Will it work?  Is it a "Good Thing"?  Are there any other references?

I am also considering just powering them down if they are idle out of hours
and automatically powering them up at 0800 on workdays.

	David

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are private and confidential and may contain privileged information. If you are not an authorised recipient, the copying or distribution of this e-mail and any attachments is prohibited and you must not read, print or act in reliance on this e-mail or attachments.
This notice should not be removed.