PE2850: Ubuntu + OSMA

Collins, Kevin L. kcollins at nei-ky.com
Mon Apr 9 07:54:48 CDT 2007

Russell Davie wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 14:55:19 -0400
> "Collins, Kevin L." <kcollins at nei-ky.com> wrote:
>
> > I've successfully installed OSMA 5.1 on my PE2850 running Ubuntu
> Dapper
> > using the Debian package found here:
> > ftp://ftp.sara.nl/pub/outgoing/dell/binary-i386/
> >
> > I can access the OMSA web interface, and the init scripts seem to
> start
> > and stop things.  I've even tried a couple of commands at the
console
> > and they've returned what appears to be proper information.
>

> I have managed to get to this far witm ubuntu and omsa, please detail
> how you managed to get the web interface running.

Here's the steps I took (this is for a clean Ubuntu 6.06 "Dapper"
installation):

1). Grab the OMSA software:
# wget -c
"ftp://ftp.sara.nl/pub/outgoing/dell/binary-i386/dellomsa_5.1.0-5_i386.d
eb"

2). Install some prerequisites (you'll need the universe repo):
# apt-get install openipmi ipmitool libxml2 libstdc++5 gcc-3.3-base

3). Install OMSA:
# dpkg -i dellomsa_5.1.0-5_i386.deb

4). Add this to the end of line 66 (the kernel defaults line) of
/boot/grub/menu.1st:
pnpacpi=off

4a). Update Grub
# update-grub

5). Modify /etc/init.d/instsvcdrv, add these lines starting at line 49:
#
==
# -- This script, in its default form, didn't check for the existence of
--
# -- the directory /var/lock/subsys, which it needs to properly
function. --

6). Modify /etc/snmpd/snmpd.conf (this is for remote monitoring, I don't
think the web interface needs this) adding this line:
smuxpeer .1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.1

7). Make certain the impi module loads properly, add this to the end of
/etc/modprobe.d/options:
options ipmi_si type="kcs" ports="0xca8" regspacings="4"

8). Make certain that the web interface starts:
# update-rc.d dsm_om_connsvc defaults

After all of that, I restarted the machine (it was easier than
restarting the 5 or 6 individual services - I'm lazy) and I was up and
running.

YMMV, this was one PE2850 running Dapper 6.06.  I hope this helps.

Kevin