[RFC] additional enhancements for RHEL3/4 for Dell system-specific repo

Michael E Brown Michael_E_Brown at dell.com
Thu Apr 5 21:28:51 CDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 08:27:15PM -0400, Ben Scott wrote:
> On 4/5/07, Michael E Brown <Michael_E_Brown at dell.com> wrote:
> >     -- along with the above, and what really kills this idea: I would
> >     have to change RPMs that I dont necessarily own: For example, the
> >     e1000 rpm is generated by Intel, and I would have to ask Intel to
> >     add this and generate a special Dell-specific RPM.
>
>   Ahhhh.  That is a killer, as you say.
>
>   Well, it sounds like you've given this some real thought, which is
> certainly good news for all involved.  :)

Hehe. If you only knew, if you only knew. I've been planning, scheming,
cajoling, etc for almost four years now to get to this point. Getting
the OMSA guys to release OMSA as RPMs was a whole lot of work. A lot of
the infrastructure I had to write myself, but I've leveraged as much of
other people's work as possible.

That is also why I am taking this part a little slowly. I am really
counting on feedback now as I place the last few things in place. People
like Seth Vidal giving good feedback really helps, but just as important
would be having lots of you customers try it out and give comments back.
I'm collecting all of the feedback and taking it up to management to
attempt to push this as an official thing. It is a lot of work.

So, please, try it out and let me know. I see from the logs that some
people have tried it out so far, and really look forward to hearing from
everybody who has tried it.
--
Michael (don't make me beg) Brown
Linux OS Engineering