[RFC] additional enhancements for RHEL3/4 for Dell system-specificrepo

Michael_E_Brown at Dell.com Michael_E_Brown at Dell.com
Thu Apr 5 09:55:38 CDT 2007

I and several other Dell folks are, indeed, EPEL contributors. I am
pushing all of my open source projects through the EPEL/Fedora
repositories. This includes libsmbios, firmware-tools, and
firmware-addon-dell. It is my hope to eventually have every distro have
these tools natively available.

This does not conflict at all with the Dell repos. I make the same
versions of these utilities available through the Dell repo, but there
are a lot of things in the Dell repo that can never be pushed through
EPEL/Fedora/etc because they are not open source.

The idea behind this new repository is that there is a distinct and
unique repository per-os, per-system. That is over 200 repositories.
What this means is that (completely made up example) if I have a
specific megaraid driver for pe1234 and pe2468 that are both mutually
incompatible, I can push the correct one for each system into the
system-specific repo. With just one repository, like the EPEL repo, the
current Dell software repo, etc, we would have to break one or the other
system.

This also fits really well into the current way that Dell tests and
releases software. We generally test per-platform and release
per-platform. It also means that we can 'freeeze' a platform software
repo at the last supported version of each piece of software. That way
you don't do a 'yum upgrade' one day and find that, eg. OMSA has been
upgraded to a new version that no longer supports the system you are
running on.

--
Michael