[RFC] additional enhancements for RHEL3/4 for Dell system-specific repo

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Thu Apr 5 09:23:25 CDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 02:11:22PM +0530, Dhawal Doshy wrote:
> Michael E Brown wrote:
> > All,
> >
> >     This is a followup to the posting yesterday about the
> > system-specific repository.
> >
> >     The announcement yesterday only works well for 'yum' based updates.
> > As everybody is aware, RHEL3/4 do not have yum. RHEL5 has yum, but the
> > repo currently has no RHEL5 content (this will change in the coming
> > weeks).
> >
> >     As a way for RHEL3/4 users to more easily try out this new
> > repository, I have created config file fragments that can be simply cut
> > and pasted into the /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources file for your systems.
> > Simply look in http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware/SYSTEMNAME/, where
> > SYSTEMNAME is your system name. There are two up2date/rhn compatible
> > config file fragments there, dellhw-SYSTEMNAME-el3.rhn-source and
> > dellhw-SYSTEMNAME-el4.rhn-source.
> >
> >     Simply download the appropriate file for your OS, and cut and paste
> > this config file fragment into your /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources file.
> >
> > WARNING: These are system-specific. Make sure you download and install
> > the specific one for the system you are running on, or you may not get
> > content appropriate for your system.
>
> This is cool.. but aren't you guys (methinks you, matt or someone from
> dell) also contributing to / packaging for EPEL (firmware and other
> things).. which maybe is duplication of efforts (unless i am missing
> something).

Sure we do.  But it doesn't make sense to put 300 BIOS images into all
the Fedora/EPEL repositories.  And we can't put non-open-source
software, like OMSA, into those repositories.  This gives Dell a
method to publish the packages applicable to each system type, like
the latest version of OMSA that's supported.  If/when OMSA stops
supporting a particular system, *that system's repository* stops
getting the new versions of OMSA.  So you can't accidentally upgrade
the software and discover it no longer can handle your system. :-)

--
Matt Domsch
Software Architect