[RFC] RHEL3/4 - automatic setup for Dell system-specific repo

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 16:08:04 CDT 2007

On 4/4/07, Michael E Brown <Michael_E_Brown at dell.com> wrote:
> All,
>     Would like feedback on the following proposal for how to better
> support RHEL3 and RHEL4 in the Dell system-specific repo announced
> yesterday.
>
>     Right now, for yum-based systems (eg. RHEL5), I have a yum-plugin in
> firmware-addon-dell which will automatically set yum variables so that
> yum can automatically find and use the correct system-specific repo.
> Right now, there is no RHEL5 content in the repo, but I expect that to
> change in the next few weeks.
>
>     RHEL 3/4 systems do not use yum by default, though, so this presents
> a problem. The second part of the problem is that up2date does not have
> a plugin mechanism that I can use to set the variables like I do with
> yum.
>
>     I just posted a message to the linux-poweredge mailing list
> detailing how RHEL3/4 users can now manually configure their systems to
> use this repository. What is lacking is an easy method to automatically
> set up this repository.
>
>     Proposal: Have a script that calls libsmbios to get the system ID,
> and then updates the /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources file manually. This
> script would be called upon setup of the repo to drop in the correct
> system repo. Additionally, we could then have a boot script that checks
> and updates this line at boot time for those cases where users swap hard
> drives between machines.
>
>     I intend to write this script and add it to firmware-addon-dell.
> Does anybody have any feedback for this?

Sounds good. My particular take on it would be to have this script NOT
run automatically.. unless it keeps a backup of the old sources
(having to tell people at 2am where their up2date went is a pain..
having pushed out a package that didn't backup the old stuff :)).

I would also ask that a /etc/yum.repos.d/ plug be dropped in case the
person is using Scientific Linux or CentOS.