remote rebuild of LSI raid array w/megarc

Harald_Jensas at Dell.com Harald_Jensas at Dell.com
Tue Apr 3 15:29:19 CDT 2007

Next time to just stop the beeping, use the option to disable the alarm in 'objects - adapter' in the RAID controller configuration instead. ;) Or simply use the "silencealarm" option with megarc... E.g 'megarc -silenceAlarm -aN'

> I've since shipped a new disk and I'd like to try and rebuild
> the array as raid1 remotely, if I can.
>
> I have another 1800 here that I tried to rebuild in the same
> way.  I made a raid1 array, threw rhel4 on it, popped out one
> of the disks.  I then rebuilt the array as raid0, and stuck
> the disk back in.  I used megarc to set the array back to
> raid1 from the OS, and let it rebuild while the OS was booted (heh).
>
> I got some gnarly filesystem errors, rebooted, and got "GRUB
> GRUB GRUB"
> on reboot.  I'm guessing that the raid controller doesn't
> know which disk to mirror when rebuilding the array or
> something else even more obvious.  Does anyone know how to
> tell the LSI controller exactly what I'm trying to do?  Below
> is output from megarc on the actual system:

I would not use the word "rebuild" in this case, what you actually want to do is to reconfigure the RAID 0 array into a RAID 1 array. From what I can see in the megarc readme there is not option to reconfigure or reconstruct a Virtual Disk. I belive OpenManage Server Administrator's Storage Service can do an array reconfiguration from from a 1 disk RAID0 to a 2 disk RAID 1.

omconfig storage vdisk action=reconfigure .... Etc.

If you can not install OMSA, then I suggest going onsite and use the "Reconstruct" option in the RAID controller configuration utility.

--
Harald Jensås