Dell SNMP - Windows vs. Linux

Nick Stephens nick at ceiva.com
Mon Apr 2 16:15:43 CDT 2007

Thank you for the quick response, Patrick.

I checked the RHEL4 machine in question and attempted to restart it, but I received a few error messages regarding missing libs.  I fiddled with it for a few minutes adding proper paths to ldconf until I got to a non-descript error.  Then I simply uninstalled the existing OMSA and up2date installed the newest.

I started the services up (error free) and got exactly the information I needed... I can't believe I missed those services failing even as I pasted to here!

To clarify for those following along at home, you do not need to fiddle with the MIBS whatsoever (those are only for client side OID -> name mapping, no effect on what OID's the remote system will respond to).

To verify this I took a machine that I had not mucked with, updated the OMSA on it to the latest version (5.1), and then properly received the requested SNMP information... well, with the exception that one of the RHEL machines decided to respond to my service-tag snmp request with just "DELL " instead of the actual tag.

One final question: Is it necessary to install the entire OMSA package on each linux box that we want to enable Dell SNMP Mibs?  I don't suspect that this would be a problem, except that a few of the machines run linux distros that are currently "unsupported" by OMSA.

Thank you again, Patrick, you just made my life much happier!

Nick