Dell SNMP - Windows vs. Linux

procaccia jehan.procaccia at
Mon Apr 2 14:45:36 CDT 2007

Nick Stephens a écrit :
> PowerEdge server running Windows 2003 with OMSA installed, snmp enabled:
> # snmpget -v2c -c xxxxx windows-box .
> SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.674.10892.1.300. = STRING: "XXX111"
> PowerEdge server running RHEL4 with OMSA installed, snmp enabled:
> # snmpget -v2c -c xxxxx linux-box .
> SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.674.10892.1.300. = No Such Object available on this agent at this OID
> As you can see, the Windows machine properly responds to my request for it's service tag information, whereas the linux box is not aware of this oid?  I have downloaded the dell MIBs (10892.mib) and placed it in /usr/share/snmp/mibs/, however I _believe_ this has more to do with being able to call the OID by name instead of number, and not with responding to a request for information.
If you did put dell Mibs in /usr/share/snmp/mibs, then it should work
the same for windows and linux box !
actually , I am questionning myself on this issue ... I wonder what is
the use of mibs files ? is it only a question of translating oids to
"human readable" values (. <-> iso.snmp...entreprise) or has
it a "real power" of retreiving  datas ?  As long as we  request  oids
by numeric  value -> . , what's the
need of installing the dell OIDs ? and installing a mib,  is it as
simple as putting the mib file in /usr/share/snmp/mibs ?

Thanks .