Dell SNMP - Windows vs. Linux

Nick Stephens nick at ceiva.com
Mon Apr 2 13:14:46 CDT 2007

Greetings all,

I am on a newfound mission across my network to get SNMP working properly on every device in an attempt to use some great management tools.  I had been relatively lax about SNMP in the past, so I have a lot of catching up to do ?  One thing that I have found recently is confusing me a bit, and that is the way that my Windows servers react to SNMP vs my Linux servers.  Please allow me to cite an example:

PowerEdge server running Windows 2003 with OMSA installed, snmp enabled:

# snmpget -v2c -c xxxxx windows-box .1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.1.300.10.1.11.1
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.674.10892.1.300.10.1.11.1 = STRING: "XXX111"

PowerEdge server running RHEL4 with OMSA installed, snmp enabled:

# snmpget -v2c -c xxxxx linux-box .1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.1.300.10.1.11.1
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.674.10892.1.300.10.1.11.1 = No Such Object available on this agent at this OID

As you can see, the Windows machine properly responds to my request for it's service tag information, whereas the linux box is not aware of this oid?  I have downloaded the dell MIBs (10892.mib) and placed it in /usr/share/snmp/mibs/, however I _believe_ this has more to do with being able to call the OID by name instead of number, and not with responding to a request for information.

I also believe that my problem has something to do with net-SNMP, but I'm not sure what exactly.  Am I missing something easy, or is this somehow not available in linux environments?  Below is some more information regarding the RHEL4 linux box, but please note as well that I have tried this with the exact same results on a newer CentOS 4.4 box with OMSA 5.1 installed.

Thank you in advance, I am a bit lost at this point!

[root at linux-box ~]# srvadmin-services.sh status
dcdbas (module) is running
dell_rbu (module) is running
dsm_sa_datamgr32d is stopped
dsm_sa_eventmgr32d is stopped
dsm_sa_snmp32d is stopped
dsm_om_shrsvc32d (pid 7708) is running
dsm_om_connsvc32d (pid 7762 7761) is running

[root at linux-box ~]# rpm -qa|grep -i srvad
srvadmin-deng-5.0.0-463
srvadmin-old-5.0.0-463
srvadmin-diagnostics-1-0
srvadmin-ipmi-5.0.0-463.rhel4
srvadmin-base-1-0
srvadmin-omilcore-5.0.0-463
srvadmin-omacore-5.0.0-463
srvadmin-odf-5.0.0-463
srvadmin-storage-5.0.0-463
srvadmin-web-interface-1-0
srvadmin-cm-5.0.0-463
srvadmin-hapi-5.0.0-463
srvadmin-omhip-5.0.0-463
srvadmin-all-1-0
srvadmin-jre-5.0.0-463
srvadmin-iws-5.0.0-463
srvadmin-isvc-5.0.0-463

[root at linux-box ~]# cat /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf

com2sec mynetwork my.ip.add.ress xxxxx
group MyROGroup  v1        mynetwork
group MyROGroup  v2c        mynetwork
view all    included  .1                               80
access MyROGroup ""      any       noauth    prefix      all    none   none
syslocation Burbank
syscontact Nick Stephens
exec getjavaproc /etc/snmp/getjavaproc.sh
exec gethttpdproc /etc/snmp/gethttpdproc.sh
exec getresintimewait /etc/snmp/getresintimewait.sh

# Allow Systems Management Data Engine SNMP to connect to snmpd using SMUX
smuxpeer .1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.1