Debian GNU/Linux on Dell Poweredge 2950 with PERC 5/i RAID

Bruno Savioli Bruno.Savioli at hostway.co.uk
Fri Sep 29 08:44:25 CDT 2006

Hi there,

I had the same problem, but in my case on a 1950.
The driver in question is megaraid_sas, at least with my 1950.
I poste a message a while ago saying exactly what I had done to fix it.
See it below.

It should work with the 2950 as well.

----
I tried to install debian etch on a 1950 yesterday, the installation
worked pretty well, but it froze during boot up.

As is guessed, the initrd that comes with etch  doesn have megaraid_sas
on it.

I figured out a  small "hack" if you still want to use initrd(I haven't
used yaird and I didn't have the option to do so during my install)

When the installation finishes, do not restart the machine.

Press CTRL+F2 and go the shell

"MAKE SURE YOU chroot INTO THE RIGHT ROOT PARTITION BEFORE RUNNING THESE
COMMANDS"

$chroot to the root /target/"something" partition.

Edit "/etc/initramfs-tools/modules" and add "megaraid_sas" to the end of
file.

Copy /boot/initrd.img-2.6.XXXX to /boot/initrd.img-2.XXXX.old

Run "update-initramfs -u" to update the current initrd to include the
megaraid_sas modules.

Reboot.... and that's it. A working debian etch on Dell 1950.

I'm not sure if this has already been reported to Debian, I'll check it
later.

Hope this helps.

Bruno Savioli