Sort disk with RHEL and DELL SAN

Wiktor Wodecki wiktor.wodecki at Net-m.de
Mon Oct 30 05:57:31 CST 2006

Hello,

NOLLET Remy (CAMPUS) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anybody can tell me how can I sort disk when I got SAN LUN and
> local disk.
>
> I have a PE2850 with 2 local raid and 3 SAN lun.
>
> When I boot, the 3 SAN LUN are seen as sda,sdb,sdc (and sdd,sde,sdf)
> And local raid are seen as sdg and sdh.
>
> How can I change sdg to sda to simplify grub config etc…

if you have a "modern" linux distribution, I would direct you to have a
look at udev. You can write identification rules which assign static
labels in /dev to your devices based on serial id's, etc.
But beware, writing udev rules requires a virgin and at least two dead
chickens, so I would either start using some device-independant layer
like lvm / fs labels or forget about this issue.

--
Regards,

  Wiktor Wodecki

  net mobile AG, Zollhof 17, 40221 Duesseldorf, Germany
  923B DCF8 070C 9FDD 5E05  9AE3 E923 5A35 182C 9783