PE 2950 with 6 DIMMs?

Linux PowerEdge linux.poweredge at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 07:58:07 CDT 2006

It has to do with the technology.  checkout the 'System Memory' section
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pe2950/en/hom/html/install.htm#wp1156871

it has to do with populating branches and channels.  in a 6 dimm
installation you end up with branch 0 fully populated while branch 1 is only
1/2 populated.  I'm not sure of the extent of the performance gain/loss;
depending on the system's usage/load you may never even notice if you were
to compare the two side-by-side.