IPMI kills networking on PE860 with fc5

Robin Humble rjh+dellpe at cita.utoronto.ca
Mon Oct 23 15:59:36 CDT 2006

On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 03:26:20PM -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
>On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 03:06:51PM -0400, Robin Humble wrote:
>> >On all systems except PowerEdge 1855, yes.  On PE1855, the IPMI and OS
>> >sides both share a single MAC address, therefore the same IP address.
>> >On all other systems, the IPMI side has a separate MAC address from
>> >the OS-visible side.
>> ok. thanks.
>> can I ask why? it seems that this unnecessarily complicates things.
>because otherwise the IPMI device can snarf packets from the wire and
>not pass them to the OS, when the OS is expecting those packets

ok. that makes sense. thanks for the explanation :)

I wonder why using the same IP works ok on our intel kit?
perhaps its IPMI is smart and re-injects messages not meant for it back
onto the wire, or does RHEL AS4's NFS just not have a problem with port
623 being used? seems also like it should be pretty easy to hack
portmap to tell it not to use the IPMI port.

cheers,
robin