bnx2 issues on Debian Sarge w/ linux 2.6.16 kernels

James Pattie james.pattie at gpsinsight.com
Thu Oct 12 12:44:04 CDT 2006

Hi guys,

I'm familiar with the eth0/eth1 reversal issue but have encountered a
different issue which is even worse.

Occasionally on reboot, either eth0 or eth1 will decide to become eth2.
In the dmesg output, it shows that it detected both eth0 and eth1, but
when you go to work with the interface it acts like its not there, but
using mii-tool shows eth2 is now in use.

All the boxes that are giving me these problems are Dell Poweredge 2950
with dual gigabit nics, 4-8GB of memory, etc.

I've searched the lists and googled and haven't seen anyone else
encountering this issue.  Any thoughts?

Log snippets below:
dmesg | grep eth0
eth0: Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-T (B1) PCI-X 64-bit 133MHz
found at mem f4000000, IRQ 169, node addr 00137266e9a5
bnx2: eth0: using MSI
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
bnx2: eth0 NIC Link is Up, 1000 Mbps full duplex
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
eth0: no IPv6 routers present

dmesg | grep eth1
eth1: Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-T (B1) PCI-X 64-bit 133MHz
found at mem f8000000, IRQ 169, node addr 00137266e9a3

dmesg | grep eth2
bnx2: eth2: using MSI
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth2: link is not ready
bnx2: eth2 NIC Link is Up, 1000 Mbps full duplex
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth2: link becomes ready
eth2: no IPv6 routers present

mii-tool
eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok
eth2: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok

On this box eth1 became eth2.  On 2 other boxes I've had eth0 become
eth2.  There doesn't appear to be any particular reason for the change.
I've looked at the name_eths program, but it doesn't seem to support
Debian and I'm not sure that it will fix the problem.

James A. Pattie
james.pattie at gpsinsight.com
http://www.gpsinsight.com/