Poweredge 1950 with Debian

Gordon Henderson gordon at drogon.net
Thu Nov 16 02:58:47 CST 2006

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Bert van Ooijen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What is the correct procedure to install Debian linux on a Poweredge 1950
> with a Perc 5/i controller and 2 SAS disk in a mirror?
>
> I'm reading trying, but I can't find the right procedure. I have the wish to
> install it with Debian Sarge and where necessary to compile the kernel or
> load extra modules.

I think there are some Debian images with kernels which will boot directly
into a PE, so that might be a better way to go forward. They were
mentioned here recently, (past few weeks), so search the archives.

I doubt this is the "correct" way, but this how I do it... (From the "more
than one way to skin a cat" department)

Take the internal SATA drive out of the 1950, put it in a spare server
already running Sarge with a SATA controller (eg. in a PCI slot if it's
only got ATA on the motherboard), then partition, format and copy the
existing Debian over to the new drive. The cross-compile a kernel for the
new system, copy the kernel over to the drive and do whatever magic you
need to do to make it bootable. I use Lilo, so if the root (inc /boot)
parittion is mounted under /mnt:

  lilo -r /mnt

where /mnt/etc contains the lilo.conf file and /mnt/boot contains the
bzImage file. Then you can put it back into the 1950 and boot it, then
bring up the rest of the system. (You need to edit /mnt/etc/lilo.conf and
/mnt/etc/fstab appropriately)

I use this method on a variety of platforms, so it works for me - it's
probably a bit more long-winded than doing it directly from CD (ie. I have
to manually create the RAID arrays, partition, format, etc. the additional
drives, but having a pre-built Debian with all my usual packages loaded up
seems to make my life easier...

My 2.6.18 .config file for the 1950 with PERC5i/SAS can be found:
   http://www.drogon.net/config.1950.txt

Gordon