FC in Production Environment

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Nov 8 20:22:42 CST 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 18:02 -0800, Malcolm Frazier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone run FC on a PowerEdge 1750 or 1850. The company I work for
> runs FC 4 on all of our production machines.
> I would really like to make a switch to RHEL or RH, because FC doesn't
> seem sufficient for an enterprise workshop.
> The company I work for develops software and it requires we have a
> certain version of MySQL, Apache, and PHP.
> So all of our machines must be identical, but its become very difficult
> with FC to keep a system up to date and still
> preserve the key components which our software functions on. I would
> also like to run OpenManage, but it does
> not seem feasible on FC. So if anyone runs FC with the same set of
> requirements I have with no problems please let me know.
> Any comments will also be appreciated, I am curious to find out what
> everyone thinks about running FC in a production environment on PEs.
----
Since RHEL 4 uses php-4.3.9-x, http-2.0.52-x, mysqld-4.1.20-x if those
versions aren't sufficient for your purposes, then you would be better
off staying with Fedora or moving to RHEL 5 when it is released.

I use RHEL and CentOS (the free re-spin of RHEL) on servers and Fedora
core on desktop machines since I want the latest development tools, etc.
For example, much of what I do is ruby on rails and the version of ruby,
svn, quanta+ (kdewebdevel) are a little old for development purposes.

Anyway, the best way I have found to manage everybody's packages is to
run your own repo (see dag weiers package yam) and have all the
computers use that instead of the default repos of fedora
core/updates/extras/etc. Then one computer can check out packages and
upload them to the yam server and those updates are installed
automatically on each computer.

Craig