Setting Day Light Savings

Jonathan Dill jonathan at nerds.net
Fri May 26 16:31:27 CDT 2006

Stop ntpd then run:

ntpdate pool.ntp.org
hwclock --systohc

Start up ntpd again.  I'm a little rusty on Fedora mainly using Debian
or Ubuntu these days.  On Debian ntpdate is in a separate package from
ntpd don't know about Fedora.  I think there's some cutesy command
interface to stop and start services these days, but I'd probably just
do it the old fashioned way, to hazard a guess it would look something
like this:

yum install ntpdate
/etc/rc.d/init.d/ntpd stop
ntpdate pool.ntp.org
hwclock --systohc
/etc/rc.d/init.d/ntpd start

ntpd is usually configured to ignore time updates if the difference
exceeds some threshhold, this is for security and stability.  ntpdate
will allow you to be insane if you wanna be.

BTW if you have the desktop software installed and vncserver, you could
always start up vncserver and connect to the vnc session to run some gui
if you have to, it's not a big deal.