PowerEdge 1850 and RHEL4

John Hill hill at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Thu May 25 03:34:39 CDT 2006

I'm trying to install RHEL4 (well actually, it's Scientific Linux CERN
4, but that is essentially the same for this discussion) on a PowerEdge
1850, PERC 4e/Si supporting 2x73GB disks in RAID 1 configuration as
the system disk. Kernel is 2.6.9-34. The installation goes fine, but
the root partition is corrupted within a day. Having a look around,
there seem to be a number of references to problems with the megaraid
drivers, but it isn't clear what the definitive solution is. I've tried
booting with only 2GB (the system has 4GB) as this was one suggested
fix, but it didn't help. The server also has a QLA2340 FC HBA in case
it has any relevance.
Any suggestions? I can also use RHEL3, but since it is likely that we
want to move to RHEL4 in the next few months anyway, I'd like to try
to find a way to use RHEL4.

John Hill