Out of memory - but only 500M out of 4GB in use

Tony van Lingen tony.vanlingen at epa.qld.gov.au
Tue May 23 20:51:40 CDT 2006

0

I thought that memory allocated as 'cache' was (at least in theory)
free? How do I prevent the kernel from allocating it? The program memory
seems to use only 500M..
There's 2GB swap, virtually all of which is free.

Currently:
Mem:   4147196k total,  3058100k used,  1089096k free,    15784k buffers
Swap:  2096472k total,    43060k used,  2053412k free,  2521072k cached

3GB memory is used, but 2.5GB of that is cache...

Cheers,
Tony

E-mail:	tony.vanlingen at epa.qld.gov.au

Visit us online at www.epa.qld.gov.au