Bonding and pocket loss

linux-poweredge at lists.us.dell.com linux-poweredge at lists.us.dell.com
Tue May 23 09:48:51 CDT 2006

Thomas_Chenault at dell.com wrote:
Dear Thomas,

>Bonding mode 0 (balance-rr) generally requires that all member interfaces are connected to the same Ethernet switch and that the connected switch ports are configured for link aggregation (etherchannel or similar). Has the switch been configured to match the bond?

Thanks for your answer. The brief answer is: no.

Each of the ethernet interfaces connected to one of the switches.
    blade 1  ethernet 0  is connected to  switch1  /  ethernet 1  is
connected to  switch2
    blade 2  ethernet 0  is connected to  switch1  /  ethernet 1  is
connected to  switch2

Switch1 and switch 2 are interconnected with 3*1GE.  I know I have to
check the spanning tree settings on the switches.
Let us assume it is enabled for each of the ethernet interfaces towards
the blades.

Is there any bonding mode that can cope with our arrangement?

The original idea is/was that if any of the internal blade switch fails
the services  still can provided.

Kind regards,
  Istvan