Bonding and pocket loss

Thomas_Chenault at Dell.com Thomas_Chenault at Dell.com
Tue May 23 09:30:29 CDT 2006

Bonding mode 0 (balance-rr) generally requires that all member interfaces are connected to the same Ethernet switch and that the connected switch ports are configured for link aggregation (etherchannel or similar). Has the switch been configured to match the bond?

Thomas

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com [mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of Tétényi István
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2006 10:53 PM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Bonding and pocket loss

Hi,

We do have a Dell  PowerEdge 1850 running with RedHat Enterprise Linux
4.  We use bonding mode=0 of the blade ethernet interfaces.
There is a 1-5% pocket loss pinging from any blade to any other blade.
If the bonding is switched off the pocket loss disappears.

Any advice is appreciated.

Istvan

Istvan Tetenyi                              e-mail:tetenyi at sztaki.hu
Computer and Automation Institute               phone: +361-279-6022
Budapest, Victor Hugo u 18-22                   fax:   +361-279-6021
H-1132. Hungary