Bonding and pocket loss

Thomas_Chenault at Thomas_Chenault at
Tue May 23 09:30:29 CDT 2006

Bonding mode 0 (balance-rr) generally requires that all member interfaces are connected to the same Ethernet switch and that the connected switch ports are configured for link aggregation (etherchannel or similar). Has the switch been configured to match the bond?

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces at [mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at] On Behalf Of Tétényi István
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2006 10:53 PM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Bonding and pocket loss

We do have a Dell  PowerEdge 1850 running with RedHat Enterprise Linux
4.  We use bonding mode=0 of the blade ethernet interfaces.
There is a 1-5% pocket loss pinging from any blade to any other blade.
If the bonding is switched off the pocket loss disappears.

Any advice is appreciated.

Istvan Tetenyi                              e-mail:tetenyi at
Computer and Automation Institute               phone: +361-279-6022
Budapest, Victor Hugo u 18-22                   fax:   +361-279-6021
H-1132. Hungary

Linux-PowerEdge mailing list
Linux-PowerEdge at
Please read the FAQ at