Diskdump with a LVM swap partition

MHerweyer at BorgWarner.com MHerweyer at BorgWarner.com
Tue May 23 07:04:59 CDT 2006

I am running RHEL U2 and have run into some issues when configuring diskdump
to use a LVM swap partition. Does anyone know whether this is supported?
I've reviewed the RHEL kbase and they provide an example configuration like
what I'm trying to do, but I have been unsuccessful getting it to work. I
have configured standard partition successfully, but I really need to make
it work under LVM.

I am hoping to get some insight into whether anyone has experience in
getting this to work.

These are the commands that I've executed:

# modprobe diskdump
# cat /proc/diskdump
Output =>
  # sample_rate: 8
  # block_order: 2
  # fallback_on_err: 1
  # allow_risky_dumps: 1
  # dump_level: 0
  # compress: 0
  # total_blocks: 1572763
  #

# cat /proc/swaps
Output =>
  Filename                                Type            Size    Used
Priority
  /dev/sdb1                               partition       2048248 168     -1
  /dev/sda2                               partition       2048276 0       -2
  /dev/sdb2                               partition       2048276 0       -3
  /dev/sdb3                               partition       2048276 0       -4
  /dev/sdb5                               partition       2048248 0       -5
  /dev/sda3                               partition       2048276 0       -6
  /dev/mapper/vgsap1-lvdiskdump           partition       7176184 0       -7

/etc/sysconfig/diskdump has been configured to use the LVM swap partition

# service diskdump start
  Starting diskdump:                                         [FAILED]

/var/log/messages:
  May 23 08:02:45 enthqsvsap001 diskdump: cat: /sys/block/dev: No such file
or directory diskdumpctl:     /dev/mapper/vgsap1-lvdiskdump is not
supported!
  May 23 08:02:45 enthqsvsap001 diskdump: activating failed
  May 23 08:02:45 enthqsvsap001 kernel: disk_dump: shut down.

Thanks,

Mike