PowerEdge 2850 with PERC 4/ei

Paul Puschmann lnx at uzulabs.net
Thu May 18 04:18:56 CDT 2006

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 10:17:06AM -0400, Dean, Michael L DA CIV USA ATC wrote:
>    Let me start by saying that as far as putting Linux on servers, I am a
>    complete newbie.  This was supposed to be an 1850 with no RAID controller
>    to make my life easier; however, someone higher up decided that RAID would
>    be nice.  Anyway, here are the specs of the computer:
>
>    Base Unit:   3.2GHz/2MB Cache, Xeon, 800MHzFront Side Bus for PowerEdge
>    2850 (221-7956)
>
>    Processor: 3.2GHz/2MB Cache, Xeon, 800MHzFront Side Bus, 2nd processor for
>    PowerEdge 2850 (311-4846)
>
>    Memory: 4GB DDR2 400MHz (2X2GB) Single Ranked DIMMs (311-3603)
>
>    Video Memory: Riser,ROMB,PCI-X,PE2850 (320-3977)
>
>    Hard Drive: 4 X 300GB Hard Drive, Ultra320SCSI, 10K RPM, 80 pin PowerEdge
>    (341-1907)
>
>    Hard Drive Controller:  Embedded RAID - PERC4 Embedded Integrated
>    (341-1506)

Hi,
if you want to run Debian Sarge on this box you have to install with
kernel 2.4 because the kernel-modules for this Perc4-Controller (LSI
MegaRaid) aren't inside the kernel 2.6.8. If you really have to / want
to use kernel 2.6 you have to
- build your own kernel (2.6.9 an above)
- or install a kernel from etch (testing) !dependencies
- or install a kernel from backports.org !dependencies
- or you simply use Ubuntu Dapper Drake (which is based on Debian, is
up-to-date and uses a kernel newer than 2.6.8 and has support and
updates for 5 years)

Kind regards, Paul