No disk reports on OMSA 4.4 under Debian on a PE2850

David McGiven david.mcgiven at fusemail.com
Mon May 15 05:06:50 CDT 2006

Dear Paul,

What I just did was re-compile my debian 2.6.15 kernel without the
"legacy" option (But still, I couldn't find that NEWGEN option). I
rebooted the machine and the system was working OK and I could access the
disk info :

root# /opt/dell/srvadmin/oma/bin/omreport storage controller
 Controller  PERC 4e/Di (Not Available)

Controllers
ID                                : 0
Status                            : Ok
Name                              : PERC 4e/Di
Slot ID                           : Slot Not Available
State                             : Ready
Firmware Version                  : 521X
Driver Version                    : Not Applicable
Minimum Required Firmware Version : Not Applicable
Minimum Required Driver Version   : Not Applicable
Number of Channels                : 2
Rebuild Rate                      : 30%
Alarm State                       : Not Applicable
Cluster Mode                      : Not Applicable
SCSI Initiator ID                 : 7

Now the problem is I can't access the chassis info. That's obvious, it's
because I no longer have the omsa drivers kernel modules for the current
kernel.

So I wanted to recompile them again but I came across LOTS of warnings and
errors :

root# ./builddriver.sh /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.15
(...)
include/linux/fs.h:456: error: storage size of `i_sem' isn't known
include/linux/fs.h:457: error: storage size of `i_alloc_sem' isn't known
include/linux/fs.h:604: error: storage size of `f_owner' isn't known
include/linux/fs.h:792: error: storage size of `s_umount' isn't known
include/linux/fs.h:793: error: storage size of `s_lock' isn't known
include/linux/fs.h:822: error: storage size of `s_vfs_rename_sem' isn't known
include/linux/device.h:224: error: storage size of `uevent_attr' isn't known
include/linux/pci.h:113: error: storage size of `dev' isn't known
/root/omsa-driver-4.4-v2/buildtmp.5202/dcdtvm/dcddks.c:338: error: storage
size of `esm_fops' isn't known
make[1]: *** [/root/omsa-driver-4.4-v2/buildtmp.5202/dcdtvm/dcddks.o] Error 1
make: *** [_module_/root/omsa-driver-4.4-v2/buildtmp.5202/dcdtvm] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.15'
make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.15'
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.15'
cp: cannot stat `buildtmp.5202/dcdtvm/dcdtvm.ko': No such file or directory
root#

It's strange because previously it worked. Do you know what might be
causing the problem ?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
David McGiven.