Hot Spares on Perc4e controllers

Patrick_Boyd at Patrick_Boyd at
Fri May 12 10:34:17 CDT 2006

It can be added later either as a global hotspare or a hotspare
dedicated to the virtual disk in question.
(If you only have one VD than these operations have the same result).

Patrick Boyd
Dell Storage Software Engineer

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces at
[mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at] On Behalf Of Andrew D. Fant
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2006 10:23 AM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Hot Spares on Perc4e controllers

Morning all,
    Simple question, I hope.  When creating a raid 5 array on a Perc4e
controller, can a hot spare be added later, or does it have to be
installed and configured from the outset?

Andrew Fant           | The lion and the calf shall lie   | Disclaimer:
andrew.fant at | down together, but the calf won't | Do you
TCCS/USG              | get much sleep.                   | think I can
Tufts University      |                  W. Allen         | speak for

Linux-PowerEdge mailing list
Linux-PowerEdge at
Please read the FAQ at