direct IO or cache IO?

Jason Wozniak jwozniak at henkels.com
Fri May 12 08:53:27 CDT 2006

Direct IO still does read ahead caching, so they both actually use the cache as I understand it.  If you have filesystemio_options set to "directio", or "setall" in oracle to bypass the os cache then perhaps cache IO would have a performance edge when writing to disk, though I haven't tested it myself.  If you're not running oracle using directIO, or setall, and have filesystemio_options set to "async" then I would advise against cache IO on the controller, as you would already be double caching with the OS, and oracle.