No disk reports on OMSA 4.4 under Debian on a PE2850

Pauli Borodulin pauli.borodulin at uta.fi
Fri May 12 08:04:00 CDT 2006

Heya!

David McGiven wrote:
> [...]
> root# lsmod | grep -i mega
> megaraid               34888  2
> megaraid_mbox          30224  1
> scsi_mod              119304  4 megaraid,sd_mod,sg,megaraid_mbox
> megaraid_mm             9760  1 megaraid_mbox

Okay, this looks ok -- I was just worried that you would be using the older
legacy driver.

> Does it really make a difference if I compile it as a module or directly
> into the kernel image ?

Nope.

> Also, before replying your email I wanted to recompile the kernel with
> that CONFIG_MEGARAID_NEWGEN option you mentioned. But I couldn't find it.

The kernel config example I sent was from 2.6.15.3. CONFIG_MEGARAID_NEWGEN
may have been removed from newer versions.

> root# make menuconfig
>
> Inside the menu I type "/newgen" and 0 results found.
>
> Maybe I have to disable MEGARAID_LEGACY option ? But I'm not sure that
> will work since I cannot rmmod megaraid

> root# rmmod megaraid
> ERROR: Module megaraid is in use
>
> What do you think ?

You should be fine if you are using the newer megaraid driver. Try the next
commands and check that you get similar output.

First check that the driver has registered itself in /proc/devices:

    user at host:/$ grep megadev /proc/devices
    254 megadev

Then check that OMSA has created the necessary dev-entry (start it once before):

    user at host:/$ ls -la /dev/megadev0
    crw-------  1 root root 254, 0 2005-06-16 09:39 /dev/megadev0

The major number of the dev-entry should be the same as the number of
"megadev" in /proc/devices. If these are ok, I don't know what could be the
problem. OMSA should create the dev-entry automatically if it finds a
supported controller.

Br,
--
Pauli Borodulin <pauli.borodulin at uta.fi>