OMSA yum repository on FC5

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Wed May 10 09:30:20 CDT 2006

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 03:10:03PM +0100, Robin Bowes wrote:
> 2. instsvcdrv has a whole raft of dependencies which are not listed in
> the RPMS:
>
> gcc, make, kernel[-smp]-devel

These are really "soft" dependencies.  If you're running a kernel for
which prebuilt modules already exist (either provided by OMSA, your
kernel, or any other mechanism (like DKMS)), then you don't need those
components.  If you're running a kernel without the prebuilt modules,
then yes, you need those components.  Requiring every target system to
have a compiler and kernel development tools and headers though is
highly frowned upon.

> 3. I've installed all dependencies (I think) and am trying to start
> instsvcdrv. Here's the output:
>
> [root at tollerton init.d]# service instsvcdrv start
> Starting Systems Management Device Drivers:
> Building dcdbas device driver using DKS:                   [  OK  ]
> Starting dcdbas device driver:                             [FAILED]
> dcdbas device driver load failed for kernel 2.6.16-1.2111_FC5smp.
> See /var/log/dcdbas.log for output from modprobe.
>
> /var/log/dcdbas.log:
> FATAL: Error inserting dcdbas
> (/lib/modules/2.6.16-1.2111_FC5smp/misc/dcdbas.ko): Unknown symbol in
> module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
> FATAL: Error inserting dcdbas
> (/lib/modules/2.6.16-1.2111_FC5smp/misc/dcdbas.ko): Invalid module format
> FATAL: Error inserting dcdbas
> (/lib/modules/2.6.16-1.2111_FC5smp/misc/dcdbas.ko): Invalid module format
> FATAL: Error inserting dcdbas
> (/lib/modules/2.6.16-1.2111_FC5smp/misc/dcdbas.ko): Invalid module format
> FATAL: Error inserting dcdbas
> (/lib/modules/2.6.16-1.2111_FC5smp/misc/dcdbas.ko): Unknown symbol in
> module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

This is due to compiler mismatches between the compiler used to build
the (closed-source) portion of these drivers (done at Dell targeting
RHEL3 and RHEL4), and the compiler that FC5 has (which is newer).
This is a big part of why we've moved to open-source GPL licensed,
kernel.org (and FC5) included drivers with the OMSA 5.0 release (when
available, sorry I can't be more specific).

I don't know how to get past this until OMSA 5.0 is released.

> 4. Starting omsad gives the following error:
>
> [root at tollerton init.d]# service omsad start
> Starting OM Common Services:                               [  OK  ]
> [root at tollerton init.d]# invcol Error: extract(): Unable to create
> temporary files. Please ensure that there is enough space in the tmp folder.
>
> Not sure why this is - plenty of space in /tmp, and permissions are 777.
> Unless it's trying to write somewhere else?

That's odd, I agree.

> That's it for now - more as I get further...

I understand it's frustrating, all I can suggest is to be patient a
bit longer...  Or, depending on your needs, simply use the
OpenIPMI and OpenIPMI-tools packages on FC5 plus the ipmi service to
load the drivers.  The ipmitool app is included in OpenIPMI-tools.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch