Linux-PowerEdge Digest, Vol 19, Issue 16

Kevin Foote kevin.foote at
Tue May 9 07:59:45 CDT 2006

> Newbie question here...
> I have a dual processor PE1850 which we upgraded from 2Gb to 4Gb.  This
> is running RHEL4 AS.
> Should we now use the hugemem kernel or stay with the smp ?  What I read
> is that if you are running with 'more' than 4Gb, then you should use
> hugemem, but what about running 'AT' 4 Gb ?

I would say yes to using the hugemem kernel vs. the standard smp kernel
It _should_ not hurt anything, you will still get the smp capabilities as
well as the hugemem
and you will not see that silly warning in dmesg about the memory size :-)