WiFi on Dell Latitude D600

Michael_E_Brown at Dell.com Michael_E_Brown at Dell.com
Thu May 4 17:17:05 CDT 2006

There is probably a way to do this at runtime, but I looked at it for 10
mins and couldn't figure it out. There is a way to enable the radio, but
it requires a reboot. There is also a way to poll to see if the radio is
active...

These should work to change BIOS setting, but will not take effect until
reboot:
	0x0114 == disable wireless
	0x0115 == enable wireless
	0x0116 == wireless control by hotkey/smi

These enable/disable radio transmission, but they require reboot to take
effect. They are only present if token 0x116 (above) is set:
	0x010C == Enable Radio Transmission
	0x010D == Disable Radio Transmission

Libsmbios (http://linux.dell.com/libsmbios/main) contains the tokenCtl
(experimental) utility that can be used to set tokens. It has some
warnings when you run it about being experimental, but should work ok
for this. (hopefully...)

For example, to set the system so wireless is controlled by hotkey:
	# tokenCtl --token 0x116 --activate      #  <reboot system to
take effect>

Then, to see if wireless is turned on:
	# tokenCtl --token 0x10C --is_active
	Token ID: 0x10c
	Is Active: yes

I suppose you could write a script that puts up a big message saying
"Please press <FN>-<F2>" or something...

--
Michael