New LUN available on Linux without reboot

A Cline aaron.cline at gmail.com
Thu May 4 16:38:04 CDT 2006

I have tried partprobe, but since this scans for "partitions" and I'm hoping
to see a new "disk", I didn't give it much hope.  And I was rewarded,
because it didn't work.

Unloading the driver would mean I would drop any other mounts from the SAN.
There has to be a better way.  I've tried the following, but it didn't work
either:

[root at low-san-903 data1]# cat
/proc/scsi/scsi                                   Attached devices:
Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ATA      Model: ST380013AS       Rev: 8.12
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi3 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: DGC      Model: RAID 5           Rev: 0219
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 04
Host: scsi3 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 01
  Vendor: DGC      Model: RAID 5           Rev: 0219
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 04
Host: scsi3 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 02
  Vendor: DGC      Model: RAID 5           Rev: 0219
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 04
[root at low-san-903 data1]# echo "scsi add-single-device 3 0 0 3" >
/proc/scsi/scsi

Any other thoughts?

Aaron