Any suggestions to get best disk I/O performance on PE 2850?

Greg Cope greg.cope at e-dba.net
Thu May 4 04:17:53 CDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 23:17 -0400, William Warren wrote:
> Actually the vast opinion is hardware raids are faster.  It really has
> to do with your raid card.  Throw in a 3ware or something faster.
> software raid MIGHT help in your instance.

Er - the truth may be somewhere in between.

Many basic raid cards are not very good from a performance POV, and
certainly in raid1 conditions software raid often outperforms a basic or
even mid range raid card.  Especially when it comes to reads.

Also there is a good argument to use software raid when there are more
than one disk pack (SCSI or FC).

3ware are often a better solution, and with a bit of thought can max out
a PCI bus.

Greg