Any suggestions to get best disk I/O performance on PE 2850?

William Warren hescominsoon at emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com
Wed May 3 22:17:51 CDT 2006

Actually the vast opinion is hardware raids are faster.  It really has
to do with your raid card.  Throw in a 3ware or something faster.
software raid MIGHT help in your instance.

Adam Williams wrote:
> Everyone says that software raids are faster then hardware raids.  have
> you looked into that?  What about JFS or reiserfs.  I don't know if they
> are any better or worse then xfs and ext3 speed wise, but you could do
> some tests with dd.
>
> Also how are you writing the files?  Direct I/O or are they copied to
> the server with samba or NFS?  I'm assuming its direct I/O, but if you
> needed faster network access you could get some Intel E1000 network
> cards and use bonding.
>
> Bill Hoover wrote:
>> Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get the best disk I/O
>> performance on a PE 2850?  I have a machine with dual 3.8GHz processors,
>> 8 GiB of RAM, six 300GB disks, and the PERC4eDi controller.  I'm running
>> the 32 bit version of RHELU3, with the disks configured into a RAID-0
>> set.
>>
>> We need performance in creating a few hundred 10GiB disk files.
>> Tests of the current configuration take about 30 seconds to write a 1GiB
>> file.
>>
>> Currently we are using ext3 for the filesystem.   I know that using xfs
>> will help some, although mainly in things like file deletions.
>>
>> Is there any way to split the disks across two channels?  I've looked at
>> the documentation, but don't see a way to do that.
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions?

My "Foundation" verse:
Isa 54:17  No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and
every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt
condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their
righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

-- carpe ductum -- "Grab the tape"
CDTT (Certified Duct Tape Technician)

Linux user #322099