Any suggestions to get best disk I/O performance on PE 2850?

Adam Williams awilliam at mdah.state.ms.us
Wed May 3 22:04:10 CDT 2006

Everyone says that software raids are faster then hardware raids.  have
you looked into that?  What about JFS or reiserfs.  I don't know if they
are any better or worse then xfs and ext3 speed wise, but you could do
some tests with dd.

Also how are you writing the files?  Direct I/O or are they copied to
the server with samba or NFS?  I'm assuming its direct I/O, but if you
needed faster network access you could get some Intel E1000 network
cards and use bonding.