Any suggestions to get best disk I/O performance on PE 2850?

Bill Hoover hoover at deadmoose.com
Wed May 3 21:57:16 CDT 2006

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get the best disk I/O
performance on a PE 2850?  I have a machine with dual 3.8GHz processors,
8 GiB of RAM, six 300GB disks, and the PERC4eDi controller.  I'm running
the 32 bit version of RHELU3, with the disks configured into a RAID-0
set.

We need performance in creating a few hundred 10GiB disk files.
Tests of the current configuration take about 30 seconds to write a 1GiB
file.

Currently we are using ext3 for the filesystem.   I know that using xfs
will help some, although mainly in things like file deletions.

Is there any way to split the disks across two channels?  I've looked at
the documentation, but don't see a way to do that.

Does anyone have any suggestions?