system fails to initramfs after reboot during build

Anderson, Steven steven.anderson at dallascityhall.com
Wed Dec 27 11:37:20 CST 2006

I am new to to Linux

I have a Dell Poweredge 2950 with a PERC 5 configured as a 300GB RAID 5,
dual broadcom gigabit network adapters, 4GB RAM, DVD/CD-rom, and no
floppy.

I downloaded the debian-testing-i386-netinst on 12-26-06 The system
appears to load from the network fine, however after the system is done

Check root= bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
or missing modules, devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev
ALERT! /dev/sdb1 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

The system then loads BusyBox and I get the initramfs prompt

Any ideas?

Thank you

Steven Anderson

City of Dallas