Which UPS for two server?

Alessandro FAGLIA a.faglia at farmol.it
Thu Dec 21 02:20:11 CST 2006

Dear list,
I am going to buy two new PE servers, the 1950 and 2950.
Both of them will be provided with redundant power supplier.
The PE 1950 will have two 73GB SAS disks (RAID1) while the PE 2950 will
have three 73GB SAS disks (RAID5).

 From data sheets I see that PE 1950 requires 670W while PE 2950 needs
750W. Total: 1420 W.

My concern is about redundant power suppliers. I think that during
normal operations, only one of them is actually working, and in case the
first breaks, the second takes over the faulty one and stars working.
What is going to happen in the switching moment? Will I have a current
spike?

My question is: which is the best (in terms of available power)
rack-mounting UPS that I can buy to serve these two babies?
If the total power is 1420W, I could go for the APC Smart-UPS 3000i,
2700 watt (probably the APC Smart-UPS 2200i, 1600 watt is enough, but
the load will be tight to 100%). What about the current spike I
mentioned before?

Thanks and regards.

Alessandro