fakeraid/dmraid and PowerEdge SC440

Eric Wood eric at interplas.com
Tue Dec 19 18:50:59 CST 2006

Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Even if your BIOS provided a RAID option, the code you would be
> using to store your data is probably tested by 0.0001% of the user
> population.  If that.  Compare that to MD or MD+LVM, which has been
> put through its paces by millions of systems all over the world.

I've been watching the progress here all year - no much:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DmraidStatus

Unfortunately, currently there's no real urgency to get dmraid going
mainstream.
>>> But honestly, why bother?  It's all software, so just use the
>>> production-tested Linux software RAID driver (MD).
>>>
>> An easy life - I'd rather mirror the whole disk, than faff about
>> matching partition sizes and mirror individual partitions. Running

I tend to agree... I can rebuild a mirror in BIOS in my sleep because
the menu system makes it easy.  I have to really concentrate with MD.

Hopefully, in the future there will be a common dmraid management tool
that will let you offline/online drives within the OS -  ahem.... if it
can be done in Windows, then.....

-eric wood