fakeraid/dmraid and PowerEdge SC440

John_Hull at Dell.com John_Hull at Dell.com
Mon Dec 18 22:20:27 CST 2006

The only RAID option on the SSC440 is via the SAS5iR, so I'm not quite sure what you ordered, or why that card isn't available in the UK. Unlike previous generations of that server, there is no option in BIOS to configure a RAID volume for dmraid, so your best bet is to use MD as Jeff recommended.

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com on behalf of Kevin Davidson
Sent: Mon 12/18/2006 6:38 PM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: fakeraid/dmraid and PowerEdge SC440

Hi

I'm setting up a brand new SC440 with SUSE (actually openSUSE 10.2
x86_64). It has a pair of 250Gb SATA disks, and when ordered the
option was ticked that they be cabled up for RAID 1. The config
ordered should be using the onboard Intel ICH7 SATA controller to
support the mirroring.

However Linux sees the 2 disks as separate drives. There is nowhere
in the BIOS menus to turn RAID1/0 on or off - just to turn each of
the SATA drives 0-3 on or off. Running "dmraid -ay" (or any other
dmraid command reports that there are no RAID disks available. I'd
hoped the installation setup CD would help, but all that did for me
was set the clock :-(

Am I doing something wrong? Using the wrong version of dmraid/
fakeraid (it's 1.0.0.rc13 which seems to be the latest)? Using the
wrong ATA driver? Or am I just stuffed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And before anyone suggests the
SAS5iR card, that  doesn't seem to be an option here in the UK - only
the SAS5i (no R) can be ordered with the SC440 :-(

Kevin Davidson
Technical Director

t 0870 745 4001
m 07813 149620