PowerEdge 2900 Processor Temps

Andrew Reid AndrewReid at eastlink.ca
Sat Dec 16 18:32:21 CST 2006

How do I see the processor temps on my 2900 with Ubuntu 6.10

ipmitool shows me the following for temps

Temp             | 01h | ok  |  3.1 | -61 degrees C
Temp             | 02h | ok  |  3.2 | -61 degrees C
Temp             | 05h | ok  | 10.1 | 40 degrees C
Temp             | 06h | ok  | 10.2 | 40 degrees C
Ambient Temp     | 08h | ok  |  7.1 | 19 degrees C
CPU Temp Interf  | 76h | ns  |  7.1 | Disabled

The entities 3.1 and 3.2 are the processors, but the temps seem a little
low ;O)

omreport gives:

omreport chassis temps
Temperature Probes Information

------------------------------------
Main System Chassis Temperatures: Ok
------------------------------------

Index                     : 0
Status                    : Ok
Probe Name                : System Board Ambient Temp
Reading                   : 19.0 C
Minimum Warning Threshold : 8.0 C
Maximum Warning Threshold : 42.0 C
Minimum Failure Threshold : 3.0 C
Maximum Failure Threshold : 47.0 C

and

omreport chassis processors
Processors Information

Health : Ok

Index             : 0
Status            : Ok
Connector Name    : CPU1
Processor Brand   : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU            5130  @ 2.00GHz
Processor Version : Model 15 Stepping 6
Current Speed     : 2000  MHz
State             : Present
Core Count        : 2
Capabilities      : 64-bit VT

Index             : 1
Status            : Ok
Connector Name    : CPU2
Processor Brand   : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU            5130  @ 2.00GHz
Processor Version : Model 15 Stepping 6
Current Speed     : 2000  MHz
State             : Present
Core Count        : 2
Capabilities      : 64-bit VT

The ipmitool readings fro entities 3.1 and 3.2 are related to the
temperature of the processors; if I load the CPUs the temps do rise, by
an appropriate amount.

Does this work on either of the "supported Linux" flavours or is the bmc
firmware a little wedged ?