dell 2650 with perc3/di debian3.1 aacraid driver

Fri Dec 15 11:07:38 CST 2006

Dell also recommends running a consistency check on VDs on a regular
basis. Usually once every 2 weeks is a good interval. It's just a good
preventative maintenance measure for just about any RAID volume.

Patrick Boyd
Dell Storage Software Engineer
(512)728-3182

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com
[mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of Stephen Kneuper
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2006 10:48 AM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: dell 2650 with perc3/di debian3.1 aacraid driver

Hello... my first post in a new job, getting my feet wet.

I have a Dell 2650 with the Perc3/di controller, five disks set up as
one RAID 5 array.  Debian 3.1 with the 2.6.8-2-386 kernel, and from
"dmesg" the aacraid driver reads "Red Hat/Adaptec aacraid driver
(1.1.2-lk2 Aug 16 2005)".

Two times it has locked up early AM with the messages of bad journal
writes or some such ilk.

I've scanned thru the last year to 18 months of linux-poweredge email,
and know that I now need to make sure firmware is current and perhaps
how to get a later driver.  Else the Perc3/di is a "pile of poo".

Any other advice?  Debian 3.1 is a given at our site, and the machine is
the major in house server and I don't want to change things willy nilly.
I did mount the filesystems with "noactime".

--steve